Re: EU research ministers retreat from OA (?)

From: FrederickFriend <ucylfjf_at_UCL.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 14:55:23 +0100

I agree with N.Miradon that we should not interpret the lack of a specific
reference to OA in the 15 April statement as signalling a retreat. It is
possible to read too much either way into ministerial statements. The 17
March statement only referred to "encouraging open access" so it was hardly
a call-to-arms! More important in my view is the ongoing process initiated
by the Commission with the Communication of February 2007, and the 10 April
Recoommendation to which N.Miradon refers appears to be a part of this
process.

On the other hand some (not all) publishers are still lobbying actively
against OA at both EU and national levels, and it is important that the
research community still finds ways to make known to the Commission its
support for OA. The Petition of February 2007 was very effective in making
those views known but the voices of researchers need to make themselves
heard anew.

Fred Friend