Re: European Commission nominates (another) high-level advisory group on research and science

From: Bernard Lang <Bernard.Lang_at_inria.fr>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 14:37:34 +0200

I checked the list on
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/08/565&format=HTML

2 nominees from France.

One is prof. Alain Pompidou who just finished a 3 years term as
president of the European Patent Office. I have no precise idea of
his actions there, but it does make me suspicious. The EPO is not
exactly an organisation that promote free use of immaterial resources.
It seems to have a strong inclination the other way, even if its
requires distorting existing laws or treaties.

I am thinking in particular of the extension of patentability to
intangibles, such as software.

On this topic, he was previously a member of a commission of the
French Academy of Technology, in charge of a study of software
patentability. The least I can say is that the study was not conducted
ethically. Their choice of external experts to be audited was totally
and deliberately biased. However it did not really matter since the
report was essentially written before most of them were audited.
Howver, the role of Pompidou in that commission is not visible.

ref on this comission:
http://www.industrie.gouv.fr/observat/innov/carrefour/tabsyn.htm#36

regarding the remark on the writing of the report : this was evidenced
during a discussion with the chair of the commission, witnessed by
journalists.

> Let us wish them well.

Let us hope first they do a good job.

Bernard Lang

* N. Miradon <nmiradon_at_YAHOO.FR> note le 22-04-08 :

--
             Le brevet logiciel menace votre entreprise
               Software patents threaten your company