RE: Certification and Dissemination

From: Ian.Russell <ian.russell_at_cytherean.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:47:41 EDT

But in order to have BOTH, you have to pay for BOTH and that
means paying both for repository dissemination and for peer
review either using the established subscription model, author
side payment (gold) open access or some other method...

You don't get both by imposing unfunded mandates like that
announced by Southampton University.

And this is my point: Whilst I agree with the argument that the
output of publicly funded research (or from a research
institution) - which is the author's original article - should be
freely available to the public, I do not believe that the
'refereed postprint' (to use your terminology, I prefer 'accepted
manuscript') should necessarily be freely given away. That
decision should be up to the organization that added the value by
peer reviewing it and associating it with its brand.

What right, exactly, do those imposing unfunded mandates have to
stipulate that the value added in this way be given up for no
compensation?

Of course, the authors have the right to choose where to publish
and long may that continue.

In anticipation of arguments that peer review is done 'for free'
I hasten to add that (i) this isn't the only value added (ii)
operating peer review processes are very expensive and that (iii)
referees have the choice whether or not to give their time and
expertise to peer review articles (those investing in peer review
are given no choice regarding whether or not to give away the
fruits of their labours by unfunded mandates).

Ian Russell
Chief Executive, ALPSP