Re: Browsing OA archives and IRs

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 12:32:28 +0100

The OA impact bibliography has a section on Web tools for measuring impact
http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html#tools

Yes, there are citation search and impact services for OA archives
and IRs, but none that are both focussed exclusively on such
repositories and (probably) comprehensive. The latter is qualified
since it is not always easy to tell what the coverage of such
services is, as the numerous reviewers who are cited here will testify.

Les Carr has given the reason for the gaps. The nature of citation
services is they must find a critical mass of cross-linking content,
usually within a subject area, to be effective. The result is that
where such services are aimed at OA archives and IRs they are tending
to develop pragmatically as content levels improve and critical masses
emerge.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7698 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865