Re: Institutional Repositories vs Subject/Central Repositories

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2008 18:51:56 -0400

On Mon, 9 Jun 2008, Beth Tillinghast wrote:

> Can you and others on this list speak to the issue of an institutional
> mandate for researchers to deposit their output in the insitution's own
> IR. I know some institutions are taking this position, but I have also
> read a number of articles advising against this approach.

Please see the links I attached to my post, below.

See also:

http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/
http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Temp/UKSTC.htm
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

and:

Harnad, S., Carr, L., Brody, T. & Oppenheim, C. (2003) Mandated online
RAE CVs Linked to University Eprint Archives: Improving the UK
Research Assessment Exercise whilst making it cheaper
and easier. Ariadne 35.
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/Ariadne-RAE.htm

Harnad, S. (2006) Maximizing Research Impact Through Institutional and
National Open-Access Self-Archiving Mandates. In Proceedings of
CRIS2006. Current Research Information Systems: Open Access
Institutional Repositories. Bergen, Norway. Jeffrey, K., Eds.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/12093/

Harnad, S. (2006) Self-archiving should be mandatory. Research
Information. http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/12738/

Stevan Harnad
AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
   http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/

UNIVERSITIES and RESEARCH FUNDERS:
If you have adopted or plan to adopt a policy of providing Open Access
to your own research article output, please describe your policy at:
   http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php
   http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html
   http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
   BOAI-1 ("Green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
   http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
   BOAI-2 ("Gold"): Publish your article in an open-access journal if/when
   a suitable one exists.
   http://www.doaj.org/
AND
   in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
   in your own institutional repository.
   http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
   http://archives.eprints.org/