Re: FW: Nature's Offer To "Let Us Archive It For You": Caveat Emptor

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2008 22:15:48 -0400

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Hecker, Lydia <Lydia.Hecker_at_fccc.edu>
wrote:

      After reading this article, I was a bit confused as to
      what a "proxy deposit in an Institutional Repository"
      is.  Could you please explain?

It means someone else offering to do the keystrokes for you -- in
this case, a publisher: Nature Publishing Group states that
it  "has encouraged self-archiving... since 2005" -- but actually
2005 was the year Nature reversed its former "green" policy on
immediate author self-archiving, and instead imposed a 6-month access
embargo.

The point of my posting was that Nature would do a lot more for
research progress if it relieved researchers of the 6-month access
embargo rather than just relieving their fingers of 6 minutes worth
of keystrokes.

Stevan Harnad