Re: The OA Deposit-Fee Kerfuffle: APA's Not Responsible; NIH Is

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 10:10:09 +0100

With points 10-14 Stevan has rather deftly restated the OA IR as a
mandate, managed within the policy and business unit of the
institution with a view to monitoring implementation and compliance.
What we currently think of as an IR, some software managed by
computing services and/or the library, will change.

All that's required is a deposit interface, and the more flexible and
closer to the user this gets, the better. Even here something like
SWORD potentially separates deposit from system as 'deposit once-put
anywhere'. In such a system we don't know where content will be put
as long as it is put somewhere that is open access.

Beyond that it's all services. Some we know now, if not all as we
know them now. DSpace, EPrints, Google, etc. PubMed Central as a
service? And many, many new services.

In ensuring that its mandate goals are met, the institution will
probably have to organise coordinated storage, and take a long-term
view of that arrangement, because it's not clear that anyone else
will. What would be the point of mandating OA content today if it
weren't to be accessible tomorrow. This is a service too, one within
the institution's control. Some other services may be; most will not be.

There are some caveats. First, the IR has become more than an OA IR,
in fact some might not be OA IRs at all. What about teaching and
learning materials, and data? Here the mandates don't apply. Both are
unresolved about institutional vs central approaches. In the case of
data, what matters is that it too is open and can be linked to open
access content. In economically straightened times perhaps costs and
business drivers will be the ultimate resolver of the scope of the IR.

Second, we shouldn't overlook the possibility that institutional
proprietorial instincts will appear. Not all will like everywhere
'their' content emerges or what some services do with it. They should
resist the urge.

Third, crucially, will enough institutional mandates be adopted?
Stevan, and some notable others, are indefatigable about this.
Progress can be seen, and Harvard and Stanford faculty mandates may
be tipping points in this direction, but those apart a positive PR
spin has been elusive, ironically perhaps because it may be hard to
justify institutional mandates based on current IRs. That's why this
restatement may be significant.

The successful IR will be determined by the unity and purpose of its
management, not its software, from those that sanction the vision and
policy, to those charged to ensure it happens. The rest is services
and can be outsourced. There are a few good examples of such IRs now,
but not many.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7698 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865