Re: Harnad's faulty thinking on OA deposit and APA policy

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 12:57:33 -0400

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 8:34 AM, Guédon Jean-Claude
<jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca> wrote:

      How can Harnad simultaneously state that there is no
      drive on his part against "institution-external OA
      repositories" and then proceed to state point 4?

To repeat:

No drive against institution-external OA repositories, just a drive
against MANDATING DIRECT DEPOSIT in institution-external OA
repositories.

(Deposit mandates should be convergent, on institutional OA
repositories, not divergent; then institution-external OA
repositories can harvest the deposits from the institutional OA
repositories.)

Reason:

To facilitate instead of retarding the scaling up to universal OA.

(It would save readers a lot of time and bandwidth if those rushing
to proclaim "Harnad's faulty thinking on OA deposit and APA policy"
would first take the trouble to understand what Harnad is saying on
OA deposit and APA policy...)

Stevan Harnad