Re: [SOAF] Harnad's faulty thinking on OA deposit and APA policy

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 13:28:46 -0400

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Armbruster, Chris
<Chris.Armbruster_at_eui.eu> wrote in SOAF:
      I fail to see how Harnad's drive against the best that
      exists: large, functional and service-oriented
      repositories, is of any service to the OA movement.

(1) No drive against institution-external OA repositories, just a
drive for mandating direct deposit in institutional OA repositories
instead of institution-external ones -- into which the institutional
repository contents can then be harvested.

(2) Institutions are the research-providers (of all of OA's target
research output, funded and unfunded, across all disciplines,
institutions and countries).

(3) Institutions are in the position to mandate and monitor the
deposit of all their own research output (funded and unfunded, across
all disciplines) in their own OA institutional repositories.

(4) Funder OA mandates need to converge with and reinforce
institutional OA mandates, rather than diverge from or compete with
them, so as to facilitate a coherent transition to universal OA.

Chris keeps talking about the functional benefits of central
services, which are neither disputed  by anything I am saying nor
diminished in the least by the locus of deposit I am urging.
Meanwhile Chris completely overlooks the real problem of OA, which is
getting the content provided.

Convergent institutional and funder mandates will facilitate and
accelerate this OA content provision; divergent ones will needlessly
complicate and retard it.

(APA has, as predicted, withdrawn its proposed $2500 surcharge for
institution-external deposit, and continues to be Green on immediate
deposit in the institutional OA repository, without charge, as it has
been since 2002.)

      "The OA Deposit-Fee Kerfuffle: APA's Not Responsible; NIH
      Is"
      http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/436-guid.html

Stevan Harnad

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Armbruster, Chris