Re: Convergent IR Deposit Mandates vs. Divergent CR Deposit Mandates

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 11:22:24 -0700

I haven't followed this entire thread (I never can when Stevan is
involved...), but I would like to add a few thoughts.

The NIH had lots of reasons for requiring deposition in a central
repository. But one that I have not seen mentioned is that the NIH can
ask things of its grantees, but no authority to require that
institutions set up an archive of their own, and are particularly
reluctant do anything that might be perceived as an unfunded mandate.

And why is everyone assuming that the existence of an institutional
archive requires double deposits for authors who are also under a
funder mandate to submit to a central repository? Why can't authors
just simply submit to their institutional archive and then have the
archive pass on the paper to PMC along with the minimal extra meta-
data required (grant codes, etc...)? Or conversely why can't the
institutions just harvest information about their authors from PMC?
Alma seems to suggest there's something difficult about this, but if
institutional archives are the interoperable utopia Stevan and others
tout, this should be trivial. What am I missing here?

Michael Eisen
UC Berkeley/PLoS