Re: Convergent IR Deposit Mandates vs. Divergent CR Deposit Mandates

From: FrederickFriend <ucylfjf_at_UCL.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 17:58:37 +0100

Oh dear! I have avoided contributing to this discussion because it has
saddened me to see so much disagreement about the various ways to achieve OA
when we are all working so hard to achieve OA by any means possible, but I
cannot leave Alma's comments on UKPMC unanswered. My understanding is that
much of the content coming into UKPMC will be coming through publisher
deposit, so for many researchers UKPMC will not be using time they would
otherwise spend in depositing in their institutional repository. And because
UKPMC does not rely entirely upon individual deposit, the growth in
biomedical OA content in UKPMC and its equivalents in other countries will -
unless there is a radical change in author behaviour - be at a faster rate
than the growth in biomedical content in institutional repositories. Don't
we all want OA content to grow at the fastest rate possible?

Just to be absolutely clear: I support institutional repositories and I
support deposit mandates. And I support interoperability to enable the
sharing of OA content.

Fred Friend