Re: Convergent IR Deposit Mandates vs. Divergent CR Deposit Mandates

From: (wrong string) édon Jean-Claude <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:34:21 -0400

Thank you, Alma. These are interesting results

The results to question one confirm that the mandates work. We all agree on this point. 35 answered out of 42

The results to question 2 are most interesting but only 19 apparently responded. One may also raise the issue that the answers are biased by the fact that the people asked are the people working on the depository. What would researchers say? Why was the response level so low in this case?

The last question received 39 answers. All categories taken together, 34 repositories declare requiring the metadata done by authors (and only 5 do it themselves). This means that, independently of policies encouraging or mandating deposits, or even in the absence of policies, many depositories apparently try to collect documents *with* the metadata from the authors. Of these, only 9 found the task very or fairly easy, or about 25%é That, in itself, deserves commenting and may well point to faculty resistance to doing yet another "bureaucratic" task. At least, the issue deserves being considered.

In conclusion, question 2 is the most intriguing and responds most directly to my question but I continue to wonder why only 19 out of 42 dealt with this issue. What held the other 23 back? Also, what does HAL show and why was if left out. I know it is a somewhat different animal, but still it would be interesting to see those results as well. Finally, it would be useful to separate deposits with mandatory metadata attached, from simple deposit and see if it is a significant variable.

Thank you for sharing these results with all of us, Alma.

Best,

Jean-Claude Guédon