Self-Promotion Bias in Arxiv Daily Listings

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:24:42 -0400

http://arxiv.org/abs/0805.0307v2

> Abstract: We established in an earlier study that articles listed at or
> near the top of the daily arXiv:astro-ph mailings receive on average
> significantly more citations than articles further down the list. In our
> earlier work we were not able to decide whether this positional citation
> effect was due to author self-promotion of intrinsically more citable
> papers or whether papers are cited more often simply because they are at
> the top of the astro-ph listing. Using new data we can now disentangle
> both effects. Based on their submission times we separate articles into a
> selfpromoted sample and a sample of articles that achieved a high rank on
> astro-ph by chance and compare their citation distributions with those of
> articles in lower astro-ph positions. We find that the positional citation
> effect is a superposition of self-promotion and visibility bias.

This interesting paper reports that in the physics Arxiv (astrophysics
sector), where virtually all current articles in astrophysics are made
OA in preprint form (hence there is no OA problem at all) several
factors significantly influence citation counts:

(1) Arxiv provides a daily list of articles deposited. The articles
higher on that list are more cited than the articles lower on that
list.

(2) Whether an article appears higher on that list does not depend on
merit. It depends on what time the article was deposited.

(3) Timing is predictable from time zones and geography, so if these
two factors are controlled for, one can also identify which articles
were (probably) deliberately timed by their authors so as to appear
near the top of the list ("self-promotion").

(4) This study shows that even after one has removed any effect of
self-promotion, appearing nearer the top of the list randomly still
increases an article's citation count.

(5) In addition, self-promotion itself increases an article's citation
count too. (The assumption is that the more self-promoted papers are
better, hence more likely to have higher citation counts; this may or
may not be the only or main reason why self-promotion further
increases citations over and above the list position effect.)

The authors rightly point out that in a high-output field like
astrophysics, visibility is an important factor in usage and
citations, and authors need alerting and navigation aids based on
importance, relevance and quality, rather than on random timing and
author self-promotion biasses.

I would add that in fields, whether high- or low-output, that, unlike
astrophsyics, are not yet OA, accessibility itself probably has much
the same sort of effect on citations that visibility does in an OA
field like astrophysics.

Stevan Harnad

http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.1037