Re: How can I convince administrators of the value of an IR?

From: (wrong string) élène.Bosc <hbosc-tchersky_at_orange.fr>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 09:59:54 +0200

Mike,
Your project to set up your own small repository is a good one.
Please, see the story of my "lab repository", set up in 2001. It
was reported in a  previous message on this list .
http://listserver.sigmaxi.org/sc/wa.exe?A2=ind07&L=american-scientist-open-a
ccess-forum&D=1&O=A&F=l&P=113107
It was seven years ago and at that time the idea of open archives was
very difficult to be understood. Today, it is more and more obvious.
Set up a repository for your lab : a concrete example is necessary.
Explain what is at stake, using Stevan's
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/71-guid.html  ,
Alma Swan's
http://www.keyperspectives.co.uk/openaccessarchive/index.html
and Arthur Sales' arguments
http://eprints.utas.edu.au/view/authors/Sale,_AHJ.html
and I am sure that you will succeed to convince your administrators
to follow you and launch a campus project.
Good luck.

 Hélène Bosc
Euroscience Member
http://www.euroscience.org/
Convenor of the workgroup on scientific publishing
http://www.euroscience.org/science-publishing-workgroup.html