Re: The House of Cards

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:18:34 -0400

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Sandy Thatcher wrote:

      Green OA is certainly proliferating, I agree, and there
      are more
      Gold OA journals joining the pack every day. No question
      that OA
      is a success, if you mean by success an increase in the
      number of
      publishing outlets and in the accessibility of journal
      articles.
      But does anyone really know if this means that the
      quality of
      knowledge has increased? What this world doesn't need is
      more
      stuff to wade through to find the good stuff worth
      spending one's
      time reading.

No. Making the 2.5 million articles published annually in the
planet's 25,000 peer-reviewed journals accessible to all would-be
users (rather than just those whose institutions can afford
subscriber access) does not increase the quality of knowledge, just
its accessibility.

And that was all OA was intended to do. Of course, increased usage,
access and impact will probably also increase the quality of
knowledge, but that will be an eventual side-effect. For now we don't
have OA yet, just 15% OA, so let's focus on that.

      Harnad, S (1997) The Paper House of Cards (And Why It is
      Taking So Long to Collapse). Ariadne 8:
      6-7. http://cogprints.org/1693/

I do agree that adding a lot of extra journals at this point (when
there are already plenty, with all papers, of all quality ranges,
eventually being published, somewhere) is not urgent. Journals vary
in quality; their quality is known from their track-records. And
users are quite capable of selecting on the basis of journal
track-record what they do and don't wish to spend their limited time
reading.

What is certain is that the constraints of their institutional
subscription budget was not a rational basis for that
selection! Powerful search tools, plus user judgment, on a
complete OA corpus, will be infinitely preferable.

But I am an advocatet of Green OA: making the existing peer-reviewed
corpus 100% OA in OA institutional repositories (IR) through Green OA
self-archiving by authors and Green OA self-archiving mandates by
institutions and funders.

So those who (like Joe Esposito, when, in more unguarded moments, he
likens OA to "research spam") are concerned that OA means adding
low-quality junk to the research corpus are (yet again) conflating OA
with (certain lower forms of) Gold OA.

It alas seems to be true -- as the ever-vigilant Richard Poynder is
now investigating for us all -- that "gold fever" has been generating
some fleets of start-up junk-OA journals simply because the risks and
access-barriers for Gold OA journal start-ups are so low: All you
have to do is (1) spam prestige-hungry academics for "peer
reviewers," (2) spam publication-hungry authors for papers, (3)
offload "peer-review" onto automatic software, email form-letters
plus 1, charge 2 whatever fee the market will accept, and suddenly
you are the publisher of a fleet of Gold OA journals.

In sum: OA is not the same thing as Gold OA publishing. Gold OA
publishing is just one of the roads to OA, and not the fastest or
surest one. OA itself is just about making the existing peer-reviewed
corpus freely accessible online, such as it is. Improving the quality
of science and scholarship is another, bigger agenda. OA will help in
that too, but that is certainly not its primary purpose: Maximizing
research access and usage online is.

Stevan Harnad
American Scientist Open Access Forum