Re: new faculty and IR publications

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 07:45:11 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

On 26-Aug-08, at 4:08 AM, Richard Rankin wrote:

      If we adopt that all publications for all researchers are
      held in the IR do we need to include a field that
      identifies the work as having been produced while at our
      institution ? this would help answer questions on
      research output by our institution during a specific
      period

(1) The postprint itself contains the author's affiliation, as
published, at the time of publication.

(2) It would not be a bad idea for an institution to add a metadata
field, for deposited postprints: "institutional affiliation at time
of publication."

(3) But unless your institution has a deposit mandate, please be
aware of the trade-off:

(4) Only about 15% of published research output is being
spontaneously self-archived today.

(5) Hence what is most urgently missing from IRs is not the metadata
for the author's affiliation at the time a postprint was published,
but the postprint deposit itself.

(6) And the main obstacle to deposit for the past fifteen years has
been keystrokes: Only 15% of authors do those keystrokes of their own
accord.

(7) So what is urgently needed to day is not more metadata field
keystrokes for institutional deposits, but more institutional deposit
mandates.

(8) Otherwise you will have a well-tagged but near-empty IR.

(9) Amen

Best wishes,
Your faithful but weary and fast-wizening archivangelist