Re: Suber/Harnad Statement in support of the investigative work of Richard Poynder

From: Leslie Chan <chan_at_utsc.utoronto.ca>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:42:48 -0400

I like to endorse, in the strongest terms possible, Stevan and Peter's
statement in support of Richard Poynder's professionalism.

Investigative journalism is the cornerstone of an open society and Mr.
Poynder is one of the finest practitioners of his craft and of his
profession. I can speak from personal experience that Richard not only
conducts his investigation with rigour and with integrity, he always
involves the community of concern in an open and transparent manner during
his research, regardless of his subject of investigation. He asks tough
questions that make people uncomfortable, and that is his job.

We in the academies have the good fortune of being protected by tenure and
academic freedom. A freelance journalist like Richard is vulnerable to
threats and intimidation because he doesn't have recourse to resources and
institutional backing. So I applaud Richard not only for his integrity,
but above all for his courage.

Thank you to Stevan and to Peter for issuing this public statement.
Richard Poynder deserves our full and diligent support, not only because
he covers topics of importance to this community, but because of what he
stands for. I wish Richard continuing success with his writing and
reporting.

Best
Leslie Chan
Senior Lecturer, Program Supervisor in the Joint Program in New Media Studies
University of Toronto Scarborough