Re: New ways of measuring research

From: Alma Swan <a.swan_at_TALK21.COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 07:18:36 +0000

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Further to my previous message on this topic, I've already had some offline responses. So, some things I had already noted, plus some sent offline after my first request to this list (including some tongue-in-cheek ones) are:

Individuals˙˙ efforts can result in:
- Medals and prizes awarded to you
- Having a prize named after you (Nobel˙˙)
- Having a building named after you (not uncommon)
- Having an institution named after you (Salk˙˙)
- Having a 5 billion euro international project built on your work (Higgs)

But on a more mundane note, other methodologies I know of that are being developed for measuring research outcomes are:
- Ways to measure long-term outcomes of research in the area of health sciences (for example, leading to or incorporated into treatments or techniques in use 20 years down the line)
- Something akin to this for looking at long-term impact of research in the social sciences

Specific examples would be useful if anyone can point me towards any.

I am also appealing to provosts/rectors/VCs or those involved in the administration of research-based institutions/programmes to tell us what sort of measures you would like to have (offline if you wish). These need not only be for the rather specific purpose of research evaluation, but for any institutional purpose (such as new measures of ROI).

Alma Swan
Key Perspectives Ltd
Truro, UK