Re: Explaining and Justifying a Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 11:43:04 +0100

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008, S.Jagger_at_roehampton.ac.uk wrote:

> What is an IR? What is an REF? What is an 'elevator pitch'? As a new
> Subject Head for my department, I find this type of email frustrating. If
> you are going to cross post, it would be nice if you provided a glossary
> for those of us uninitiated. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever and
> makes me wonder why I subscribed to this establishment.

IR: Institutional Repository (for depositing research publication
output)

http://roar.eprints.org/

REF: The UK Research Excellence Framework (successor to the Research
Assessment Exercise, RAE).

http://www.hefce.ac.uk/Research/ref/

"Elevator Pitch": "An elevator pitch (or elevator speech) is an overview
of an idea for a product, service, or project."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevator_pitch

Open Access: Free only access to research publication output.

http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/

Open Access Mandate: A requirement (by university or funder) to deposit
research publication output in OA IR.

http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/sign.php

Stevan Harnad