Re: Call for a vote of nonconfidence in the moderator of the AmSci Forum

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 10:46:44 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

I was on the road in the last few days, cut off from the Internet.
This will explain my silence.

I agree with all the people that believe Stevan's interventions on
this list (and elsewhere) have been invaluable. Sometimes
infuriating, but invaluable nonetheless. I have long debated against
some of Stevan's theses, but I have learnt a lot from these
discussions.

The point of my earlier remarks was absolutely not to push Stevan out
of this list. This would be total nonsense. The point was a worry
about a confusion of roles. As Jan Velterop states it below, doing so
ended up in "not making it easy on himself" for Stevan.

I had not thought about JaNs, BBC-inspired, host/moderator
distinction, but I find it interesting and useful. It would certainly
clarify Stevan's position on this list while not cramping his
inimitable style, and it would free him from negative reactions,
especially when these have been the result of possible technical
delays rather than intent (a reference to my own, inaccurate,
outburst that seems to have started this whole discussion).

In conclusion, what I was arguing about was not about a vote of
confidence (or nonconfidence) with regard to Stevan. I was arguing in
favour of a simple clarification of roles. What Stevan has constantly
striven to do ultimately strikes me as very difficult and ultimately
contradictory: attempting to be as fair as possible, as Stevan has
constantly tried to do, while simultaneously adopting a highly
polemical style of intervention may not be mutually exclusive stances
in theory, but, in practise, they are damn hard to maintain under a
single brain.

Jean-Claude Guédon