Fwd: Google/Google Scholar merge?

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:36:30 -0400

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Leslie Carr <lac -- ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 11:05:14 +0100
Subject: Google/Google Scholar merge?
To: JISC-REPOSITORIES -- jiscmail.ac.uk

I was just using Google to search for items in repositories when I
noticed that some Google results have Google Scholar data associated
with them - author name, year of publication, number of citations and
links to the Google scholar records.

See the following examples:
(EPrints Soton)
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=site%3Aeprints.soton.ac.uk+%22institutional+repositories%22&btnG=Search

(DSpace MIT)
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en-us&q=site%3Adspace.mit.edu+%22digital+preservation%22&btnG=Search

  I'm not aware of any announcements about this. Does anyone have any
more information?

On closer inspection, it seems that any of the versions of a paper
that Google Scholar has identified will appear with the enhanced
information - whether in a repository or on a publisher's website or
an author's home page. The author names are sometimes somewhat awry -
you will often see authors listed as "Submission R" because the paper
is listed under Recent Submissions or similar.

The vast majority of repository usage comes from Google, not Google
scholar, and so this development is very welcome because it allows
users to see some kind of scholarly perspective on top of Google's
(and the Web's) model of individual document resources.
--
Les Carr