Re: [SIGMETRICS] On Metrics and Metaphysics

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 10:44:39 -0400

Adminstrative info for SIGMETRICS (for example unsubscribe):
http://web.utk.edu/~gwhitney/sigmetrics.html

On 22-Oct-08, at 10:10 AM, David E. Wojick wrote:

> Speaking metaphysically, I find the following problematic -- "The point is
> that metrics need to be plural, diverse, and validated and weighted by
> field and
> subfield."
>
> I would argue that the concepts of field and subfield are too vague and
> unscientific to be the basis for objective metrics. Science is an ever
> changing body of inquiry, with personal, methodological and subject matter
> clusters that change with scale and over time, sometimes very rapidly. No
> two papers are about exactly the same thing. Each paper is related to its
> neighbors in multiple ways. Each object of study can be looked at in
> multiple ways.
>
> Thus field and subfield are always artificial divisions of convenience
> imposed on an unbroken web of belief and inquiry. Moreover, these
> divisions can often be usefully made in multiple ways. If the science of
> science depends on these artificial divisions as a basis for measurement
> then we are in serious trouble.

Yes, field and subfield are artificial divisions of convenience. So are
institutions, laboratories, research funders, research projects, research
assessment exercises, etc. But we do make these artificial divisions, so we
need metrics to provide objective ways to navigate within them. If the
artificial divisions (such as disciplines) prove inconvenient, or have
untoward consequences, we can artificially redivide them.

The point is that we should not demand more of our metrics than we demand of
the data to which we apply them. And that multiple metrics are much more
promising than sticking to just one.

The kind of radical relativism and subjectivism that is implied by:

"No two papers are about exactly the same thing. Each paper is related to
its neighbors in multiple ways. Each object of study can be looked at in
multiple ways."

would rule out not only metrics, but any sort of evaluation or comparison.
By that token, we may as well toss a coin (or conduct an opinion poll) in
deciding whom or what to fund, credit, or otherwise reward.

'the man who is ready to prove that metaphysics is wholly impossible... is a
brother metaphysician with a rival theory.'

Stevan Harnad