Re: Repositories: Institutional or Central ? emergent properties and the compulsory open society

From: Imre Simon <is_at_IME.USP.BR>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 15:27:02 -0200

I would like to complement Tomasz Neugebauer's enlightening message.

It is useful to observe that fragmenting the opposition while
maintaining united one's own side is an important strategy in general
(divide and conquer) and it is constantly and masterfully practiced in
the area of OA.

For instance: having a fragmented and well scattered reality of OA
articles, kept in IR's, seems to be an excellent strategy for the
opponents of OA. Indeed, this will slow down the appearance of emergent
properties because the connections among papers will all but disappear
if they are kept in different repositories.

Another way of putting the same thing: properties are much likely to
emerge in complete or at least densely populated thematic (or
disciplinary) repositories (TR's) than in scattered IR's. And the
value or potential value of emergent properties overrides, by far, the
value of a scattered and fragmented OA, even if it is almost
100% complete, which would indeed be formidable. My opinion, anyway.

So, it is perhaps not a coincidence that many Green publishers allow
authors to post their papers in their IR's or on their home page, but
not in TR's. Fragment and conquer!

As for mandates and "the compulsory open society" I would like to
offer a somewhat different point of view. It is an unquestionable
reality that unmandated IR's remain all but empty. ArXiv, CiteSeerX,
Repec and SSRN are the four examples of large thematic repositories I
know of which are populated without a mandate. One wonders why?

I propose one possible explanation which is also relevant to the
current discussion. The communities of these four TR's are much more
impressed by the OA paradigm and by the strength, usefulness and
importance of the emergent properties then by eventual copyright
considerations. This condition does not seem to scale easily to other
communities and for these an institutional mandate becomes a kind of
reassurance that the institution is becoming a partner in eventual
copyright problems that might arise.

Hence, in this perspective the mandate is not only a coercive force,
it is also a partnership or even a relief from possible and quite
fuzzy copyright responsibilities of the author. Please note that the
nature and ways of copyright are very intricate, quite threatening,
and almost all authors are thoroughly ignorant about them. So, at the
end of the day, "the compulsory open society" label might be a bit
harsh and a bit away from reality.

Still on this topic, there are also the mandates which have been voted
on by the Faculty, like the Harvard FAS mandate, which dampens quite a
lot the compulsory adjective and which is, in my opinion, the more
correct way of establishing a mandate.

As for Harnad's proposal of recreating arXiv-like TR's by harvesting
author deposited material from IR's I most completely agree with
you. It would be enormous progress if (1) this could be done and be
replicated in many other areas, while (2) maintaining the possibility
of creating new emergent properties or recreating old ones in new
disciplines! I am, for one, pessimistic about the success of the
endeavor and, like yourself, I fear that it might be based on a
premature trivialization of highly non-trivial problems to be
solved. But, I do root, and very strongly, for them to succeed and
soon, thereby proving me wrong!

Congratulations for a great, thought provoking post! I wish we had
many more of these on this list!

Cheers,

Imre Simon
University of São Paulo, Brazil