Re: Another Winning Article From OA's Chronicler and Conscience: Richard Poynder

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:30:11 -0400

On 09-03-11, at 15:16, leo waaijers wrote:

Thanks Stevan for your extensive answer. Of course I feel tempted to reply accordingly. But that would explode our exchange. Apart from that, readers of this professional mailing list can judge most arguments themselves I guess. But I cannot resist to point out that DOAJ shows more than 3900 OA journals, growing with an average of 2 journals per day. Why stop this process in favor of Green mandates? Leo.

Hi Leo,

I didn't suggest stopping Gold OA growth.

Most of the growth in Gold OA journals is either (1) TA journals making their online edition free (which is always welcome, and not at issue here) or else (2) new start-up Gold OA journals (which, like most start-up journals, OA or non-OA, don't last very long unless there is an empty niche they fill). Most important, most of the top journals -- the ones to which most researchers most need access -- are not OA. At best, they are "hybrid OA" -- TA journals that, unlike the TA journals that are simply making their online edition free, are charging sizable fees for OA, per article (these hybrid journals are not counted by DOAJ as Gold OA journals, rightly).

In other words, the Gold OA journal growth is not where the OA need is greatest.

Moreover, what I had said was that the research community should stop focusing on Gold OA journals until and unless it has mandated Green OA. Once Green OA is mandated, neither lost time nor wasted money matters any more; but without mandating Green OA, it gives a golden illusion of making significant progress towards global OA where there isn't any.

Gold OA growth (and in particular among the top journals where it is needed most) is not in the hands of the research community (i.e., authors, their institutions and funders). It is in the hands of the publishing community. And it cannot be mandated.

So Green OA is OA's real growth region; and that's why it needs to be accelerated and assured through Green OA mandates by universities and funders.

(Sorry my reply had to be longer than your comment!)

Chrs, Stevan