Re: The definitive answer from Wiley-Blackwell

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 2009 11:58:09 -0400

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

On 8-Jun-09, at 11:07 AM, C.J.Smith wrote:

      While I acknowledge that the Author Rights page on the
      Wiley-Blackwell website states that authors can deposit
      their final accepted manuscripts in institutional
      repositories, I remain concerned by the communication I
      received direct from their permissions department:

?The [submitted] version is the only version we allow to be
placed into institutional repositories. We do not allow the
post-peer-review[ed] article, the author?s final draft, or any
other version to be deposited.?

Colin, with all due respect, I think you may be making a big and
needless strategic and practical mistake here.

If a publisher has publicly posted a statement,  "All authors may do
X"  and seems to have contradicted it elsewhere -- "All authors may
not do X" -- (whether orally or in writing), it is definitely not the
author's or the repository manager's responsibility to resolve which
of the publisher's mixed messages to heed: Heed the one that is more
favorable to whatever you want to do. If it is X, then do X.

      This seems to me to be a pretty clear and unambiguous
      statement, and it leaves me wondering why I was told this
      if their policy really is as stated on their Author
      Rights page. I could of course have had the misfortune of
      speaking to a misinformed Wiley-Blackwell employee.

I cannot understand why one would want to give the same weight to a
verbal opinion by a single employee over a written policy statement,
visible to all.

      However, I also remain concerned by the terms in their
      (most widely used) copyright assignment
      form:http://media.wiley.com/assets/1540/86/ctaaglobal.pdf.
      Under C.1.a (Submitted Version), mention is made of the
      right to self-archive in an institutional repository.
      However, under C.2 (Accepted Version), no mention of this
      is made. Indeed, it states that ?re-use of the accepted
      and peer-reviewed (but not final) version of the
      Contribution shall be by separate agreement with
      Wiley-Blackwell?. This does not appear to reflect the
      notion that all Wiley-Blackwell authors can automatically
      deposit their accepted versions in their institutional
      repositories.

Again. If there is a formal statement "Authors may do X," with no
mention that they have to pay to do it, or beg to do it, then go
ahead and do X rather than seeking or heeding  at contradictory
statements elsewhere.

Let us not forget that all that is at issue is whether or not the
author one day receives a take-down request from the publisher -- at
which time he can decide whether or not to honor it. But all this
advance anxiety to actively solicit unanimity when when there is at
least one formal affirmative is hard to fathom/

      I would certainly echo SHERPA?s advice that, where
      possible, it is best to consult individual journal
      policies.

No one has suggested that it is SHERPA's statement that one should go
by!  If the publisher states that its blanket policy does not cover
all of its individual journals then by all means consult the policy
of the individual journal. (But that does not appear to have been
what was at issue above: It was not publisher's general policy vs. an
individual journal policy, but one (published) statement of the
publisher's policy vs. another one contradicting it.)

      This is particularly relevant in the case of
      Wiley-Blackwell, which publishes a lot of journals on
      behalf of learned societies, who may have their own
      policies on open access archiving built into their
      publishing agreements.

It is fine to consult the formal, published statement of individual
journals if the publisher's blanket statement does not apply to all
of its individual journals. (But once you have the journal's written
statement, don't then go on and phone their permissions
phone-answerer to ask if it's true!)

Stevan Harnad

      Colin Smith
Research Repository Manager