Re: On Proportion and Strategy: OA, non-OA, Gold-OA, Paid-OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 15:18:34 -0400

PS I forgot to reply to the most important point in David's query: The
relation between point 1 (the vast majority of articles are neither
Green OA nor Gold OA) and point 7 (the vast majority of the top
journals -- and indeed also the vast majority of all journals -- are
Green OA) is simple this:

Although the vast majority of journals endorse Green OA self-archiving
by the author (and are hence Green) the vast majority of authors do
not yet *act upon* this Green light to deposit! That is why the
mandates are needed. Another relevant datum is the vast majority (95%)
of authors surveyed (by Alma Swan of Key Perspectives, for JISC), in
all fields and all countries, have stated that they would comply with
a mandate to self-archive from their universities and/or their funders
(over 80% of them say they would do it willingly), the vast majority
do *not* do it spontaneously, without a mandate.
http://eprints.ecs.soton.ac.uk/11006/

That is the basis for my overall conclusion, below.

SH