Re: Submission Fees (was: RE: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...)

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 14:27:41 -0400

I cannot find -- in Jan's explanation, below, of the nonlinear nature
of subscription journal pricing -- the response to the pair of points
I raised. So I will try to repeat them, in context:

(1) Yes, if and when subscriptions are all cancelled, and journals
have downsized to providing only the peer review service, and all
journals cover their peer review costs through article processing
fees, it will be a good idea to charge for submission and processing,
regardless of whether the outcome is rejection or acceptance.

(2) But, no, it makes no sense to pay this processing fee today, when
subscriptions are not cancelled, journals have not downsized to just
providing peer review, processing costs are still being paid by
subscriptions, and asking to be paid for the processing costs would be
double-dipping. http://bit.ly/4gg7k7

This is not just an objection to not transferring these superfluous
processing fees toward the proportionate lowering of the subscription
price. It is also the objection that processing costs are premature
and unnecessary today, especially for a subscription journal, when we
have neither universal OA nor subscription collapse, just
subscriptions, processing charges, and a smidgeon of OA.

Pre-emptive, unnecessary processing charges (whether for acceptance or
for rejection/acceptance) -- even if they could be transferred
"linearly" to lowering subscription prices -- are not what is needed:
universal OA is what is needed. And there is no need to pay extra for
it while subscriptions are still being paid at all.

The way to provide universal OA today is for institutions and funders
to mandate Green OA today, universally.

Stevan Harnad