Re: Submission Fees (was: RE: "Overlay Journals" Over Again...)

From: Walker,Thomas J <tjw_at_UFL.EDU>
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 22:05:18 -0400

Heather Morrison:
> If 10% of last year's revenue
> stream is coming from publication charges, prices should be decreased
> by 10%. OR, libraries and others such as funding agencies,
> departments, etc., should not support the publication charges.

[Bill Hjooker:}
While I have seen publishers claim that OA uptake is "very low" or similar, I have not seen any figures -- does anyone know of a hybrid model where the %OA uptake has been quantified? Does anyone know of a hybrid publisher who has explicitly adjusted their subscription prices in accordance with OA uptake?

[T. J. Walker:]
The Entomological Society of America (ESA) was the first publisher to adopt what is now known as the hybrid model. It did so in 2000 and the % uptake of OA reached 67% in 2004 (the range for ESA's four journals that year was 58 to 71%). The uptake has changed little since 2004 and has never exceeded 74% for any journal. ESA charges less for OA than any other publisher of mainline, paper-published journals--currently 75% of the cost of 100 paper reprints or about $200 for an article of average length. Detailed data are at http://entomology.ifas.ufl.edu/walker/esaepub.htm .

Tom W.

> stream is coming from publication charges, prices should be decreased
> by 10%. OR, libraries and others such as funding agencies,
> departments, etc., should not support the publication charges.

[Bill Hjooker:}
While I have seen publishers claim that OA uptake is "very low" or similar, I have not seen any figures -- does anyone know of a hybrid model where the %OA uptake has been quantified? Does anyone know of a hybrid publisher who has explicitly adjusted their subscription prices in accordance with OA uptake?

The numbers may prove useful, because libraries etc who are going to refuse to support hybrid charges at popular journals will have to deal with unhappy faculty, and perhaps the best way to defuse that situation is to have actual data to hand showing %OA uptake and the absence of any proportional subscription adjustment. Even monkeys have been shown to have an innate sense of fairness...

B.