Re: Science metrics add-on for DSpace

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:03:43 -0400

On 30-Jul-09, at 8:44 AM, Ana Alice Baptista wrote:

> I'm writing this email to ask for some advice from you. Some months
> ago you posted a msg on the AmSci forum saying that it would be a
> good idea to develope APIs/Web Services for repositories' platforms
> in order to provide access to relevant data for science metrics
> applications.
>
> I immediately found it very interesting as it met some of my
> thoughts on these issues. Angelo Miranda (the repositoriUM
> implementer) is doing a MSc dissertation with me and I proposed him
> to do such an add-on for DSpace, which he accepted gladly. I have
> not been following the most recent developments on this matter, so
> I'd like to ask for some input from you:
>
> - do you know of any initiative doing such a work for DSpace?
> - in case, there isn't any, can you provide us some suggestions
> (reading material or other) on which data would be relevant for such
> a service to output?
> - do you have any other suggestions for this work?

Dear Ana,

Nice to hear from you. I am branching your query the eprints and
dspace lists, so that those who know of other developments can post
them.

Although you no doubt know some of them already, five sites I suggest
you have a look at are:

EPrints sites:

(1) IRstats: http://trac.eprints.org/projects/irstats

(2) Citebase: http://citebase.eprints.org/

Other sites:

(3) Citeseerx: http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/

(4) Publish or Perish: http://www.harzing.com/pop.htm

(5) University Webometrics: http://www.webometrics.info/

I also suggest you look at the work of

Johan Bollen: (who has just moved to Indiana University):
http://proto.lanl.gov/jbollen/Johan_Bollen/Publications.html

Mike Thelwall: http://www.scit.wlv.ac.uk/~cm1993/mycv.html

Hope you are having a good summer!

Tchau,