Re: Research: Writ, Reason, and Practice

From: Jeffery, KG (Keith) <"Jeffery,>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 10:57:19 +0100

Charles -

I as certainly not implying you were one of those using the copyright
law discussion disingenuously - I know your work quite well (as you
know).

While I am very keen to ensure there is clarity on copyright law and
practice (precedent)I am equally keen to ensure that researchers know
that - in the domain of scholarly publishing / fair use / research &
education) - most (but not all) of the restrictions apparently imposed
by copyright are, in fact, illusory. Once this is widely known,
appreciated, accepted then one of the FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt)
barriers to green OA (Harnad definition) is removed.

Best
Keith

Prof Keith G Jeffery E: keith.jeffery_at_stfc.ac.uk
Director Information Technology & International Strategy
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
Didcot, OXON OX11 0QX UK
T: +44 1235 44 6103 F:+44 1235 44 5147

President ERCIM & STFC Director: http://www.ercim.org/
W3C Office at CLRC-RAL http://www.w3.org/
President euroCRIS http://www.eurocris.org/
VLDB Trustee Emeritus: http://www.vldb.org/
EDBT Board Member http://www.edbt.org/
The contents of this email are sent in confidence for the use of the
intended recipient only. If you are not one of the intended recipients
do not take action on it or show it to anyone else, but return this
email to the sender and delete your copy of it
The CCLRC telecommunications systems may be monitored in accordance with
the policy available from
<http://dlitd.dl.ac.uk/policy/monitoring/monitoring%20statement.htm>.