Re: Google book search settlement

From: bq <bquint_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:47:37 -0700

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

google book search content comes primarily from library partners. that means a curated high-quality collection of what the nation's leading research libraries have collected over the last 2 centuries. it's millions and millions of books with more millions on the way.

i think the cumulative impact will be to move people everywhere, especially faculty and students, into using digital as their primary mode of interacting with text. that would seem to expand OA acceptance, especially if it ties into google scholar, which it has begun to do.

as for revenue stream, google traditionally avoids denial-of-service as a mode of ensuring revenue. even though this settlement database will involve subscriptions, i'll bet that google accommodates institutional budgets. the plan already includes a free subscription to any public library willing to dedicate a computer to the service and that's for every building in the public library system, not just one for the headquarters.

so far google has not put any ads into google books outside of the user-oriented ones that help people find places to buy or check out the book (amazon, barnes and noble, alibris, oclc's find in a library -- sort of thing).

bq