Re: Universal University Open Access Mandates Moot The Problem of Uncontrolled Journal Price Inflation Caused By Inelastic Demand

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 22:47:46 -0400

On 3-Sep-09, at 5:51 PM, Ian Russell wrote:

> Except your starting assumption is incorrect. The "uncontrolled
> inflationary spiral" is a myth. Price-per-page and
> price-per-article are falling and continue to do so.
>

> What keeps increasing is the number of papers being produced by
> the academy and it is this that drives the increasing overall
> costs of scholarly publishing.

Either way, institutions can't afford all the journals their users
need. So whether the access problem is caused by journal price
inflation or journal size inflation makes no difference whatsoever:
Green OA self-archiving is the solution either way.

> If Gold OA constrains the amount of papers produced, and if
> that's really what the academy wants, then bring it on.

You may not have noticed, but my posting was about Green OA (self-
archiving) not Gold OA (publishing). I was saying (yet again) that pre-
emptive Gold OA is premature, unnecessary, a bad idea, and a
distraction from and hence a deterrent to the immediate, universal,
reachable, tested and sure solution to the global access problem,
which is Green OA self-archiving mandates.

Stevan Harnad