Fwd: Deposit without editor or quality checking

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:01:31 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: Hugh Glaser <hg_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: 24 septembre 2009 08:38:15 GMT-04:00
To: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>, "JISC-REPOSITORIES_at_JISCMAIL.AC.UK" <JISC-REPOSITORIES_at_JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Subject: Re: Deposit without editor or quality checking

Amen.
As one of the authors_at_ecs Stevan is talking about, I can say I think it is
hard to underestimate the importance of this as a means of satisfying
authors.

While there is an editing phase, it is "their" repository.
Without an editing phase it is "my" repository.

It provides a service for me: I put things there so that I can find them
later; I don't bother with my own publication pages anymore; when I give a
seminar I put the slides there before the seminar and then put the link to
the exact link archive item on the slides; I care much more about what is in
the repository, because I have responsibility... I could go on to use words
like "empowerment", but perhaps that's enough.

The feeling of difference is enormous: instead of it being something that is
an extra imposition that costs me time, it is much clearer it is a useful
service that my organisation is providing for me, and becomes part of my
working structure.

By the way, as Stevan says, if checking is required then checking afterwards
is much the best way, and will then be appreciated by the users, rather than
considered as law enforcement.

Best
Hugh
--
Hugh Glaser,  Reader
              Dependable Systems & Software Engineering