Re: UOW's open access research repository reaches one million downloads

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:10:47 -0400

On 24-Sep-09, at 8:12 PM, Gail Ford wrote:

> Kathleen Cowan wrote:
>
> > University of Wollongong's open access research repository,
> > Research Online (http://ro.uow.edu.au/), hits the one million
> > download mark.
> > Read more here: http://media.uow.edu.au/news/UOW066204.html
>
> is there any way we could use this to inform, encourage our own
> faculty? maybe just a casual handout at the next faculty
> conversation?

(1) Though 1 million hits are welcome, it is not clear how this figure
compares with the number of hits at comparable-sized universities that
have had repositories as long as UW has.

(2) Nor is it clear what are the contents of UW's repository. If it is
like other repositories, it is only capturing a small fraction of its
annual refereed research output.

(3) The (only effective) way to encourage faculty to deposit is to
adopt a deposit mandate: See ROARMAP
http://www.eprints.org/openaccess/policysignup/

Stevan Harnad