Re: COPE, HOPE and OA

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 2009 07:56:40 +0100

On 19 Sep 2009, at 12:25, Stevan Harnad quoted:

      the Compact for Open Access Publishing Equity (COPE)

      is a key initiative in the transition to open access.

      http://www.oacompact.org/

In these straitened times I wonder if it would be better for the HE
sector to launch "CORE", the "Compact for Open Access Research
Equity", replacing concerns about publishers with concerns about
researchers: "We the undersigned universities recognize the crucial
value of the services provided by scholarly RESEARCHERS, the
desirability of open access to the scholarly literature, and the need
for a stable source of funding for RESEARCHERS...."
--
Les Carr