Re: Parallel journals

From: Klaus Graf <klausgraf_at_GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2009 02:49:32 +0200

2009/10/6 Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>:
> Begin forwarded message:

> (4) The difference between the publisher's PDF and the author's
> self-archived final refereed, revised draft are completely trivial. This is
> not something a researcher would worry about. Researchers are worried about
> access denial, not PDF.

I think this is wishful thinking. My experiences with ZORA or
Harvard's new IR are going in the same direction: a strong preference
for publisher's pdf (and no OA, because it isn't free).

> (5) A journal issue is just a hodge-podge of mostly unrelated articles; no
> need to "reconstruct" that; open access to all the articles plus good
> boolean search power is all that's needed.

I do not think that you can prescribe readers how to browse journal
issues. There are lots of theme-issues where browsing makes sense.

Klaus Graf