Re: Wrong Advice On Open Access: History Repeating Itself

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:16:14 -0400

> The debate below has been going on for quite a while...
> Stevan use[s] numbers for what he considers to be solved
> and repetitive questions. It is not all that simple in our messy
world...
> ...research dissemination is not a logical process; it is a social
and
> institutional process. Speaking as if it were only logical ends up
confusing
> many issues because the simplification used is simply excessive...
> When arguments are pushed too hard, beyond their pragmatic social
> and institutional value, they may end up reading like rigid slogans,
> however good the logic behind these arguments may be. This is
> simply counter-productive...

It's a question of time. Others with more time on their hands and/or
fewer decades already wasted on OA may be content to sit back and wait
patiently for human nature to take its glacial social course toward OA
-- irked, perhaps, by the pointed and relentless pushing of others
toward a proven, immediate, practical solution.

But in the one brief lifetime vouchsafed one, I am not yet ready to
concede or believe that something as monumentally trivial as OA, and
as readily reachable as it has been for at least two decades, is
destined to keep on bumbling aimlessly as it has been, because of some
(unstated) law of human nature according to which this endless,
aimless, but far from speechless random walk toward nowhere is what it
is (and ever was) unalterably destined to be.

No, I shall continue to point out the simple, practical (and, yes,
logical) solution (self-archiving), already tried, tested, and
demonstrated to be feasible and successful in generating OA for
everything to which it is applied, until either the token drops, or I
do.

Because the solution is so simple, and there is only one, it is
unavoidable that there will be an element of repetition in continuing
to push for it. But there's the same element of repetition in
continuing to ignore it too; and I'd say that was even less productive.

(And I do try to preach it from a different angle each time, varying
my diction and my style. A nice bit of reciprocation would be to
actually pay attention to the content, for once, long enough to get
it, and act on it. That would be the best way to get me to shut up.
Failing that, just some sign of actually having grasped the simple
point at hand would be a rare and welcome treat for me, rather than
just the usual repetitive response of ignoring or misconstruing it for
the Nth time with a groan...)

I can think of nothing more counterproductive than these two
needlessly lost decades insofar as OA, ever within immediate reach, is
concerned (and I doubt that my relentless sloganeering has been any
bit more effectual in prolonging these decades than it has been in
foreshortening them).

Jeremiah