EP2DC - linking EPrints with research data repositories

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:38:26 -0500

Forwarding from: Dr Kenji Takeda, senior lecturer in Aeronautics at
the University of Southampton.
http://ktakeda.blogspot.com/2009/12/ep2dc-linking-eprints-with-research.html

Announcing the release of EP2DC, a service that connects an EPrints
document repository with a remote data repository. What's the point?
Well, at Southampton we've been working very hard over the past decade
to make research more widely available - spearheading the Open Access
movement. One of the products of this is EPrints, one of the world's
most popular repository platforms. EP2DC allows you to upload datasets
to go alongside your articles - e.g. the raw data used for the graphs
in your paper. While this is possible with EPrints already, here we
have built a Web Service infrastructure that allows the data to be
stored remotely - i.e. in a separate data repository. This provides a
scalable, federated SOA architecture that we believe will help users,
repository owner and developers realise the dream of open access to
data. Have a look at http://www.materialsdatacentre.com/, and more
specifically on the EP2DC blog _at_
http://www.materialsdatacentre.com/ep2dc-blog.html Thanks to JISC for
funding us to create this!