Re: Gratis OA and LIbre OA

From: Richard Poynder <richard.poynder_at_BTINTERNET.COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:16:03 -0600

From: American Scientist Open Access Forum
[mailto:AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG] On
Behalf Of Klaus Graf
Sent: 20 January 2010 10:10
To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
Subject: Re: Gratis OA and LIbre OA

2010/1/20 Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 7:18 AM, Andy Powell <andy.powell_at_eduserv.org.uk>
wrote:

>> Worth remembering that OA is about more than being
>> "available for download", at least according to the BOAI...
>>  http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/boaifaq.htm#openaccess
>> [and Bethesda]
>> http://www.earlham.edu/~peters/fos/bethesda.htm
>
> The definition of OA has since been updated: http://bit.ly/5YAtVj

Mr Harnad and Mr Suber cannot "update" the dfefinition of OA.

The definition of OA is the common wording of the BBB definitions.

> Both are OA

Gratis OA isn't OA according the BBB definition.

Klaus Graf

One could, of course, question whether the BBB has any more authority than
Mr Harnad and Mr Suber in these matters. Since there is no official OA
organisation one could argue that there is no official definition of OA in
the first place. For this reason it could be argued that OA is whatever
anyone wants to it to be ? a point I made some four years ago:
http://poynder.blogspot.com/2006/03/where-is-open-access-foundation.html.