Re: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

From: Sally Morris <sally_at_morris-assocs.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 14:42:34 -0000

Stevan asserts that researchers who cannot afford access to the published
version of articles are perfectly happy with the self-archived author's
final version.

Interestingly, in our survey of learned society members (see
http://dx.doi.org/10.1087/2009308) Sue Thorn and I found that most of our
1368 respondents did not, in fact, use authors' self-archived versions even
when they had no access to the published version - 53% never did so, and
only 16% did so whenever possible.

Sally Morris

South House, The Street
Clapham, Worthing, West Sussex BN13 3UU, UK

Tel: +44(0)1903 871286
Email: sally_at_morris-assocs.demon.co.uk