Re: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

From: Klaus Graf <klausgraf_at_GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 23:25:19 +0100

I cannot see any empirical evidence that the assertion below is more
than wishful thinking.

2010/1/17 Heather Morrison <hgmorris_at_sfu.ca>:
> On 17-Jan-10, at 6:42 AM, Sally Morris wrote:
>
> Stevan asserts that researchers who cannot afford access to the
> published
> version of articles are perfectly happy with the self-archived author's
> final version.

There is in contrary evidence that researchers strongly prefer
publisher's PDF and that they prefer to deposit publisher's PDFs in
IRs although they aren't free in eternity.

The best way to get a citable version is to mail the author if he has
a publisher's PDF.

(i) It is a myth (and Harnadian orthodoxy) that mail buttons in IRs
are working well - no empirical evidence.

(ii) It is a myth that there is a well working central OAI harvesting
scholars know. OAIster is down and this was the most unfortunate OA
event for me in 2009 - but nobody cares (except Mr Krichel, maybe).

Klaus Graf