Re: OA's Three Bogeymen

From: (wrong string) édon Jean-Claude <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 06:24:48 -0500

Alas, this whole discussion continues to assume that publishing must rest mainly on organizations that behave like businesses (hence the call for sustainability) and often are busineses. Why should they not be treated as services integral to the research cycle of activities (which should include publishing)? If so, they should simply be supported by public money. Research is supported by public money and publishing is an integral part of research. No one asks if research is sustainable, and they do not for a good reason: it is not! If publishing is an integral part of research, it follows that publishing should be supported by public money and not be submitted to market rules which, in any case, can only distort the "great conversation"of science and of scholarship more generally.

The discussion below is also about one kind of Gold Publishing, the so-called "author-pay model". Personally, I am very skeptical about this model, and increasingly so. It solves access for third world countries only through humiliating, piecemeal, requests, and it has opened the door to devious practices, some of which are precisely being discussed below. Yet,I believe the Gold Road is viable if constructed correctly. Once again, allow me to point to SciELO. To my mind, this is the best and most coherent strategy for the Gold road. It also coincides well with national science policies trying to promote science and, as SciELO's Abel Packer would say, provide a place in the sun for Third World scientists.

This is why I support a public option for scientific and scholarly publishing, but this public option should be international in nature to avoid being too vulnerable to national politics. This said, I would rather be vulnerable to national politics than to Elsevier or any other large, private, publisher. I can vote in my country but I have no voice inside the Elsevier (or Springer, or ...) structure.

Jean-Claude Guédon

PS And, as a reminder, this statement is not in support of the Gold Road as the exclusive way to reach OA; it simply tries to tweak the Gold Road to make it more viable. This is also and exactly what I do when I try tweaking the Green Road by saying that repositories must get involved in the generation of symbolic value. Both roads are needed, but they must be conceived coherently and correctly.