Re: Funder mandated deposit in centralised or subject based repositories

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:30:09 -0500

On 18-Feb-10, at 7:04 AM, Garret McMahon wrote:

> I have a general query regarding funder requirements that stipulate
> deposit into a centralised or subject based repository such as PubMed
> Central. Is anybody meeting such a requirement by developing processes
> that incorporate the institutional repository as the primary point of
> ingest and subsequently uploading content to the centralised service?
> I'm particularly interested in two aspects of this question. Firstly,
> how an institutional policy supporting the home repository does not
> find itself at variance with funder deposit policies that specify a
> preference for locus of deposit external to the institution. Secondly,
> what is critical to the home and centralised repositories in terms of
> service design in any such collaboration.

On locus of deposit, much has been written: http://bit.ly/9wps6p

See especially:

SWAPping SWORDs
http://jisc-suetr.blogspot.com/2008/06/swapping-swords.html

"Waking OA's Slumbering Giant: Why Locus-of-Deposit Matters for Open
Access and Open Access Mandates"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/522-guid.html

"How to Integrate University and Funder Open Access Mandates"
http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/369-guid.html

"Using SWORD and SWAP to Implement the MIT OA Mandate"
http://bit.ly/aDH0rz