Re: Funder mandated deposit in centralised or subject based

From: Leslie Carr <lac_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 18:35:26 +0000

On 21 Feb 2010, at 13:55, Kiley ,Robert wrote:

> To give a very practical example there are some publishers (e.g. Elsevier)
> who allow authors to self-archive papers in an IR, but do NOT allow
> self-archiving in a central repository like PMC or UKPMC. To be clear,
> if such papers were harvested into UKPMC from an IR, then they would be
> subject to a formal take-down notice.
If the metadata of the harvested article included the ISSN (or ISSNs) of the journal in question then
(a) you would know what you were harvesting and
(b) you would be able to filter appropriately

> In addition to the rights-management problem, there are other issues we
> need to address such as how a manuscript, ingested from an IR, could be
> attached to the relevant funder grant,
It could include the id of the research grant.

> In view of these issues our preferred approach is to encourage
> researchers to deposit centrally, and then provide IR's with a simple
> mechanism whereby this content can be ingested into their repository.
I can understand why a central deposit solution appeals to UKPMC. I would equally be able to understand if the 182 members of the UK Council of Research Repositories had a different perspective :-) However there is enough REF pressure in the system to encourage joined up thinking, so I hope that the UK repository community, the UK research funders and the repository platforms/developers can work together to see their way through this OA problem/opportunity.
--
Les Carr