Re: Funder mandated deposit in centralised or subject based

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:20:23 +0000

A simple way to look at this is that authors, to achieve maximum flexibility with respect to open access, should work up the value chain, not down.

The value chain (upwards), based on the cost-effort invested in the respective output, in this case would be: IR-CR-publication.

The investment of cost-effort, in the traditional way of thinking, is invariably linked to restrictions to obtain a return on that investment (that is the product over service dichotomy). I place CRs in the centre of this short chain based on Robert Kiley's assertion of what UKPMC is seeking to achieve in terms of quality of production and presentation, of text and metadata.

As Robert acknowledges, if you go straight to publication there are more limitations, and perhaps less incentive, on your ability to provide OA. Similarly, a CR-first approach creates limitations and less incentive for deposit in IRs. Stevan shows that this strategy is detrimental to the wider uptake of OA by non-funder mandated authors and other institutions. It appears that Wellcome may be beginning to realise this - that it is in the centre here and is subject to the upside and downside - and could therefore benefit from a dialogue with IRs on this issue. If the will is there, so are the solutions.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, Building 32
School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 7698 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865