Re: Success of U Liege Mandate Linked to Performance Assessment

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 10:35:27 -0400

On 2010-06-02, at 9:00 AM, Chris Armbruster wrote:

> This is a request for clarification from ORBI & ULg with respect to
> the 40,000 references mentioned on the home page of ORBI and with
> regard to the impact of conjoining the repository with assessment.

I am sure U. Liege will provide the breakdown you are inquiring about. I will only reply on practical and strategic questions here.

> I clicked on a random sample of 30 references from 2009 (browsing ORBI
> by issue year and choosing pages from December to August and clicking
> on titles) and obtained the following:
> Full text open access: twelve
> Request copy: nine
> No text associated: nine

The figures sound reasonable. The other piece of information that is necessary is the nature of the publication: Full-text is usually not provided for books, and may not be provided for other kinds of digital content too (including legacy backlog). The relevant figures are for current annual journal articles.

PREDICTION 1 (minor, less important): Since about 63% of journals (including almost all the top journals) already endorse immediate OA for refereed final drafts, U Liege's percentage of immediate OA for journal articles will be at least 63% -- and higher for those authors who elect to deposit pre-refereeing preprints. For the full-text articles deposited as Closed Access rather than Open Access, the "Request Copy" will provide Almost-OA for all would-be users during the embargo.

PREDICTION 2 (major, much more important): U Liege's success and example will remove all remaining worries about adopting a Green OA mandate and will inspire the rest of the world's 10,000 universities to adopt U Liege's IDOA Mandate model, with the result that the 63% Immediate-OA + 37% Almost-OA will generalize to all of the planet's refereed research output at long last (currently OA is just 20% worldwide). Soon thereafter, or even earlier, the last dominoes will fall, access embargoes will die their natural and well-deserved deaths, and we will have 100% Immediate OA.

So, a little patience please, unless you have a strategy for getting us to 100% OA faster!

> Is ORBI / ULg in a position to clarify just how many of the 40000
> references belong to each category?

I hope ORBi will be able to post the relevant data.

> And what is the rate of full-text open access now, as compared to what
> it was before the repository was conjoined with assessment?

I think your questions seek data for which the time scale is far too short at U. Liege: I believe (subject to correction) that U Liege's mandate was announced about 3 years ago (March 2007) and became official policy about a year ago (October 2009). From the outset the policy was to link deposit with submission for performance review. But performance review does not occur for every author every year. So the data here are probably based on too short a time-scale and with too many concurrent factors to be able to sort it out in the way Chris asks. A better comparison would be with other comparably sized universities lacking any mandate at all, and with the speed of compliance with mandates that do not link deposit with performance review submission procedure.

> Anyone interested in this topic is invited to study what became of
> ARROW http://www.arrow.edu.au/ once repositories were adopted as
> preferred means of research assessment: http://research.nla.gov.au/
> In Australia, the number of references seems good, but the rate of
> full text open access is rather limited.

The critical difference is that the Australian policy did not, like U Liege, mandate full-text deposit. It merely mandated metadata deposit, for research assessment. You need both!

Stevan Harnad