Re: Ranking Web of Repositories: July 2010 Edition

From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro.aguillo_at_CCHS.CSIC.ES>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 10:43:41 +0200

  Dear Hélène:

Thank you for your message, but I disagree with your proposal. We are
not measuring only contents but contents AND visibility in the web.
Certainly HyperHAL covers the contents of all its participants, but the
impact of these contents depends of other factors. Probably researchers
prefer to link to the paper in INRIA because of the prestige of this
institution, the affiliation of the author or the marketing of their
institutional repository.
But here is a more important aspect. If I were the president of INRIA I
will prefer people using my institutional repository instead CCSD. No
problem with the last one, they are makinng a great job and increasing
the reach of INRIA, but the papers deposited are a very important (the
most important?) asset of INRIA.

Regarding the other comments we are going to correct those with mistakes
but it is very difficult for us to realize that Virginia Tech University
is "faking" its institutional repository with contents authored by
external scholars.

Best regards,

--
Isidro F. Aguillo, HonPhD