Re: Ranking Web of Repositories: July 2010 Edition

From: Isidro F. Aguillo <isidro.aguillo_at_CCHS.CSIC.ES>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 09:03:45 +0200

Dear all:

In fact we have already take into account some of your comments in the last
editions of the ranking. Let me explain:

- The ranking is based on a ratio 1:1 between ACTIVITY and VISIBILITY, so it is
as important as publishing a lot of OA papers doing it in a way others
(worldwide) can recover, use and link them. The ratio 1:1 means the weight of
each is 50%. As stated in previous messages, Visibility is measured counting the
total number of external inlinks.

- Regarding activity, we decided to follow your advices so the value is
calculated giving more or less the same value to these three variables:

* Number of papers, usually full text articles, using as a proxy the number of
items from Google Scholar
* Number of web pages: ALL the webpages (usually html or similar ones, but also
other formats)  of the website
* Number of documents: A subset of the former, those files in rich format like
pdf, ps, doc or ppt. It is probably true that pdf is not the best format and
perhaps we should consider other formats, but people are not using other
formats. The number of files in OpenOffice formats, XML, or others are
negligible, useless for ranking purposes.

- PMC. Our policy is not to rank repositories without its own domain or
subdomain. There are technical reasons but also visibility ones. The address of
PMC is "absurdly" complex:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc

Regarding UK PMC they are included in the ranking but its position is delayed
because they do not use suffixes in their file's names. They have hundreds of
thousands of Adobe Acrobat (pdf) files without making them as *.pdf. This avoid
an efficient filtering by file type by major search engines.

Best regards,