Re: The Mandate of Open Access Institutional Repository Managers

From: C Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:17:30 +0100

A few comments:

Stevan says distributing articles amongst many OA resources does not advance OA one millimetre. I disagree. users will be indifferent as to whether the hits they get from a Google Scholar search come from an IR or an OA journal, so the cause of OA IS advanced by having a rich variety of OA sources.

Stevan says that it is not the job of repository managers to theorise about the future of publishing. He also says a repository manager's mandate should be to fill the institutional repository with the institution's journal article output, regardless of whether it is published in a gold or non-gold journal. But it IS the job of repository managers - and their managers - to think about the entire e publishing scene and to adopt policies that advance their Institution's strategies. As Jenny rightly says, Institutions are driven to do things for a large variety of reasons. OA is good because it gets the Institution's publications more widely read and more highly cited. But the particular OA routes to achieve that is a matter for internal politics. Sorry Stevan, but it is not for you to say what a repository manager's priorities should be - it is the repository manager's manager who decides that.

In a nutshell - Stevan believes that the mandate of repository managers is to fill the IR with 100% of staff outputs. It is not. The mandate of the repository manager is to do such duties as his/her employer requires. Despite considerable overlap, the two are not always identical. Live with it, Stevan, and stop berating people who have a hard enough job juggling priorities as it is.

Charles