Re: Roundtable Press Release (Access to Research Results)

From: Stevan Harnad <amsciforum_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 20:03:27 EST

On 1/19/10, Sandy Thatcher <sgt3_at_psu.edu> wrote:

> It would be dangerous for the future of scholarship, however,
> to cite anything but the version of record in formal
> publications. Scholars have always exchanged drafts of papers
> in the print world, too, but I daresay they would be reluctant
> to cite drafts in their own papers as published. Let's hope the
> careful habits of the old world are still maintained in the
> new. I'm not optimistic....

Access the version you can access, but cite the published version
(i.e., the version of record). That's what citation means: the
canonical, archival version (if there is one), not the particular
xerox you may have actually passed your eyes over. (But *please*
let's not start again on the subject of possible discrepancies:
The contingency at the heart of OA is when a would-be user has no
access to the version of record. That's when access to an
author's final refereed draft is infinitely better than no access
at all. And infinitely more important than the occasional
discrepancy. Please keep that in mind. And also that the version
of record continues to exist, for those who can afford access. OA
is primarily a supplement for the have-nots, not a substitute for
the version of record. OA will of course evolve into more than
that; but at the core, that's the rationale for OA: to supplement
access for the have-nots, now that the online era has at last
made it possible. OA is not, in the first instance, about
reforming publishing or copyright, though it will no doubt
eventually lead to that too...)

Stevan Harnad